First off, I wanted to thank all players and their families for taking part in the 2019 summer academy. I’m thrilled to announce some really cool milestones achieved in year two:
- We’ve just welcomed our 30th player to our academy which is a new milestone, almost doubling last year’s attendees.
- We now have players from 5 different school systems training at the academy.
- We just hosted our 150th match played at the academy.
- Staley Tennis is now a professional verified UTR academy and club. Now all current and future matches are counted towards players’ UTRs and our hosted tournaments will count towards players’ verified UTRs.
To date, 90% of profits have been reinvested back into either the facility or into new training equipment. Thanks to our increased registrations, we’ve invested in some facility and academy improvements including the following:
- Commercial ball machine for hitting sessions and academy training.
- Two 120′ windscreens (9 ft. tall) covering areas of both courts.
- Soloshot Robot Camera for high speed video capture, match play recording and player evaluations.
- A full sized hitting board installed on court one for academy players to utilize. More on that in a future article.
Here is a list of future academy acquisitions, additions, enhancements and facility upgrades we’d love to make with continued support from our academy players and families.
Academy Additions (Currently In Development)
- 2019 Junior Fall Academy—8 week camp for high school girls and middle school coeds. This will serve as an entire season for training and competition and a really great boost to local high school tennis girls who can only play seasonally. And in a lot nicer weather than spring girl’s season. The fall academy will also be open to middle school boys and girls who want to get in a head start on their high school and college careers. APPLY NOW
- Fall Adult Fast4 League—Part of our club development. An adult (18+) singles and doubles league starting this fall. If you are interested in participating, please sign up now. Early registrants will get their first season’s league fees waived. Those interested in this promotion, can simply sign up for our UTR club now.
Future Acquisitions (Wishlist)
- 10 & Under Training Equipment. We have invested in some equipment in past years to run the LYC Camp, but are looking to expand programming to offer training to 10 & under boys and girls through transitional mini-courts and balls (red, orange and green ball & court).
- Commercial Stringing Machine. To offer restringing services to our players within the academy.
- Micro-X Tretorn Pressureless Balls. These will be added to our commercial ball machine.
- Fix court lighting. Right now the lights are adequate for match play after dark, but one pole needs rewired and a few bulbs need replaced with covers.
- Repair Fencing. Upgrade the entire fence material surrounding the courts.
- Patch Courts / Resurface. At this point, this is in NWCC’s domain and control as we rent the courts from them. Right now there is paint peeling and cracks that need addressed. Last update: they were searching for a local contractor to address the foundation and fix.
- Bleacher Upgrades. Addition of canopy to existing refurbished bleachers or new sets.
- Divider Net Between Courts. Can be pulled out to block a training court from interfering with a competition court.
- Message Board / Sign Outside of Courts. For branding and programming info.
- Polywood Bench. Added between courts 1 & 2.
- Final 120′ section of windscreen to complete the facility fence covering. All but both bleacher areas will be screened off.
How Can You Help?
We’ve been able to really save the North Webster tennis courts, along with the help of the North Webster Community Center and we’ve really had success in bringing back junior tennis to the area. This has been great to be a part of this during the past few years and I hope it continues.
By members of our community taking part in our academy, we’ve seen the power and growth through tennis participation—we’ve been able to liven up the area, give back to youth through sports. And to know that tennis is a lifelong sport makes it even more exciting.
If you’d like to be a part of continued growth in the North Webster and Wawasee area, here are a few simple things you can do:
- Get The Word Out To Other Tennis Players & Enthusiasts. Our academy has a 90% + satisfaction rate from our academy players and families which isn’t easy to achieve in the slow gratification sport of tennis. The more we reach others by word of mouth, the more we can achieve together and gain by being part of this academy.
- Encourage Juniors To Take Part In Our Summer or Fall Training Academy. As tennis academies go, this is the most affordable one on the market and we’d like to keep it that way. With more registrations, this allows us to do more while keeping the price down.
- Get Juniors and Adults To Sign Up For Our UTR Club. It’s free and promotes match play at all levels.
- Donate To The NWCC. Here is the link. They are a 501(c)3 organization, meaning that your contribution is tax-deductible. Not only are they a part in helping us keep the North Webster tennis courts on the map, they’re doing many other great things for our community. If you want your donation to go to tennis, please let them know.
Thanks again for a wonderful first half of our summer academy and club!