2021 Season Is Now In Progress!
Information / Rules
WHAT IS FAST 4?
FAST4 Tennis is a shortened format of tennis. FAST4 Tennis was globally launched in Sydney with Roger Federer and Lleyton Hewitt. It has since been be showcased by a host of other champions including Rafael Nadal, Fernando Verdasco, Gael Monfils, Nick Kyrgios and many more! More information can be found at fast4.com. Though there are many variations of Fast4 rules, Staley Tennis uses a unique combination that we think is best fitted for our league.
Each team will consist of 2 players. Each match will consist of #1 Singles, #2 Singles and a Doubles match. Actual scores for all three matches (1 singles, 2 singles and doubles) will be reported to UTR. Teams wins or losses will be based on a league scoring system with handicap (see points & handicap section below for more details).
Games: No-ad scoring. At 40-all (deuce) its “next point wins” the game. The receiver chooses which side the point is played.
Sets: First to 4 games wins the set. If the set score is 3-3, a special Fast4 tiebreaker will be played.
Tiebreakers: First to 5 points. 2 points serving each starting from deuce side, then players or teams will switch ends (the only time they switch ends during the tiebreaker). If Tiebreaker reaches 4-4 it’s “next point wins” the set. Players come to the net and spins racquet; receiver chooses which side the point is played.
Matches: All matches will consist of the best of 3 (Fast4) sets. Tiebreakers maybe played in lieu of a third set only if teams involved in the match are playing multiple matches in one day; otherwise, a full set is played for the 3rd set.
If the ball hits the net cord on a serve and bounces in the correct service box, play will continue. In doubles, either of the receiving pair can play the let (eg. the receiver’s partner can move across and return the serve).
Each player has the ability to nominate a “Power Play” once per set when serving. Players must hold the ball up to their opponent and announce “Power Play”. Opponents can signal with a thumbs-up to acknowledge the special point play situation. Whoever wins the power play gets 2 points. Games will continue remaining on the proper deuce or ad side as appropriate to the scoring.
2021 Fast4 League
|-||Kiah Farrington / Gabriella Umbower||5||0|
|-||Holden Babb / Cooper LeCount||4||2|
|-||Zeke Keim / Devon Kuhn||4||2|
|-||David Ousley / Kylie Fugett||3||2|
|-||Joseph Harper / Dylan Neese||3||3|
|-||Abbi Frank / Anna Arter||3||3|
|-||Nathan Harper / Will Long||2||3|
|-||Jay Duncan / Rylee Firestone||2||5|
|-||Abby Arter / Morgan Dyck||0||6|
All 2021 matches will be played at Wawasee High School on Wednesday nights on the following dates from 6-9PM (unless otherwise noted):
July 28, 2021
Round 1—3:30PM (Makeup Doubles Only from 7/7 Rainout)
- Topspinners vs. Court Queens
- Ace Bandages vs. Got Its
- Kick Aces vs. Ace Bandages
- Got Its vs. Dare Doubles
- Double Trouble vs. Topspinners
- Court Queens vs. Drop Shots
- Poachers (Bye)
- Double Trouble vs. Kick Aces
- Court Queens vs. Poachers
- Drop Shots vs. Ace Bandages
- Topspinners vs. Dare Doubles
- Got Its (Bye)
- League Coordinator: Shane Staley, (574) 551-3194. Please call or text with questions.
- Teams consist of two junior players (ages 11-18).
- Each team will play one match per week (on average).
- Each match will consist of teammates playing one singles match separately and a doubles match together.
- Matches will be UTR verified .
- All matches will be played at Wawasee High School in Syracuse on select Wednesdays from 6-9PM.
- Match outcomes will be based on points.
- Handicap points will be given to the underdogs based on the difference of total team UTR. Check out the points and handicap section of this page to see how this works.
- In case of inclement weather or scheduling conflicts, matches can be rescheduled through the league coordinator. All scheduling changes need to go through and be approved by league coordinator.
- Matches consist of FAST4 Format (best of 3 sets).
- New balls will be furnished each match by Staley Tennis Club. Winning team in league will be awarded matching trophies.
- A league coordinator or a representative will be in attendance for each match for guidance, rules enforcement and to collect final scores.
- Have fun, practice good sportsmanship and let’s make this league experience fun and entertaining for everyone.
Points & Handicap
Standings will be based on the number of points each team has, not the number of wins. Here is a breakdown of the standard points system:
- 1 point for each game won (singles and doubles)
- 5 points for each individual match won (singles #1, singles #2 and doubles)
- 10 points for the overall team win (which team wins the best of 3 match)
Handicap points are based on the difference between total combined team UTRs and given as a bonus for games won to the underdog players/team.
Player 1: 2.21 UTR
Player 2: 1.00 UTR
Total Team UTR=3.21
Player 1: 3.55 UTR
Player 2: 3.26 UTR
Total Team UTR=6.81
During this match, team A will earn a handicap of 3.60 which is the difference between total UTRs of both teams.
Handicap is added to the games won during the team match. So for each game Team A wins, they’ll receive a bonus of 3.6 points. For each game Team B wins, they’ll receive the standard 1 point.
Match Example #1:
Team B player wins 4-2, 4-2
(Team B would earn 13 points, Team A would earn 4 points by standard scoring; in addition, Team A would earn a handicap of 3.6×4 games won, so an additional 14.4 points. So the score from this match would be Team A: 18.4 pts., Team B: 13 pts.)
Team B Player wins 4-1, 4-1
(Team B would earn 13 points, Team A would earn 2 points by standard scoring; in addition, Team A would earn a handicap of 3.6×2 games won, so an additional 7.2 points. So the score would be Team B 13 pts., Team A 9.2 pts.)
Team B wins 4-0, 4-2
(Team B would again earn 13 points, Team A would earn 2 points by standard scoring; in addition, Team A would earn a handicap of 3.6×2 games won, so an additional 7.2 points. So the score total for the doubles match would be Team B 13 pts., Team A 9.2 pts.)
During this match, Team B won each match by regular scoring, so the team match was won 3-0 which earns Team B another 10 points per standard scoring.
Team B: 49
Team A: 36.8
|2020||Slice Girls||Pierson Wellington|
2020 FAST 4 LEAGUE—FINAL STANDINGS
|1||Dare Doubles |
(H. Babb / C. LeCount)
(P. Wellington / I. Stahly)
(J. Harper / K. Farrington)
(Z. Keim / D. Kuhn)
(J. Bowsher / N. Harper)
2019 FAST 4 LEAGUE—FINAL STANDINGS
(J. Bowsher / N. Harper)
(J. Gibbons / H. Babb / S. Merriman)
(T. Fiedeke / C. Firestone / J. Harper)
(K. Farrington / K. Harper / R. Firestone)