The structure of the 2021 summer academy has changed this year to a more simple and more affordable package for area juniors to promote growth in membership and interest in the sport of tennis.
We will be dividing up the academy into two section: Academy A will be for the more advanced players to have experience in higher competition; Academy B will be for players who are intermediate to beginning levels. Within both of these academies, groupings will be made on the skillsets of players to allow for players to experience the level of training and competition needed for their current stage in the sport.
This summer’s academy will run during the months of June and July. The itinerary for each week in those months is as follows:
Tuesdays & Thursdays 5:30-9:00PM will be academy B + A practices held at Wawasee High School courts. Academy B will attend from 5:30-7:00 and Academy A will attend from 7:00-9:00PM. These practices will incorporate all the major areas of training as in past years (Singles IQ, Doubles IQ, Serve Development, as well as drills and clinics on all areas of the game, including mental, technique and tactical).
Wednesdays 6:00-9:00PM will be reserved for Fast4 League Play each night at Wawasee High School. Fast4 League is not just open to academy players, but general public juniors through our UTR club. This is verified for UTR match play opportunities in an extremely fun environment where players will get to experience a unique format to play in both doubles and singles events during each match.
Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 9:00-Noon will be reserved for individual training sessions which are optional (add-on) this year. These sessions are tentatively to be held at the North Webster training courts. This will include private hitting sessions with ball machine, private lessons, and unique instructional live hitting sessions or coached simulated match play sessions (see section below on types of sessions offered).
In addition to the above, our optional Challenger Series is available for free and only to academy students. Play challenge matches versus other academy players and mentors in a flex-scheduled ladder system with weekly challenges. For those who need to condense their times, I will be devoting open play time in one of the practices each week that could alternatively be used to play out a Challenger Series match, if needed.
No upfront cost in 2021! Each player will be billed at the end of each week for academy practices and any add-ons they book (see below).
- Academy A=$360 for full summer academy (Includes 36 hours of on-court practices)
- Academy B=$270 for full summer academy (Includes 27 hours of on-court practices)
Deadline to apply: May 31, 2021.
Types of Private Sessions Offered (Optional Add-ons)
In the AM each weekday, parents can optionally book private coaching times with me to focus on the needs of each individual player. Get your academy application in now to be able to book these extras as my booking times are limited (first-come, first-serve).
I am expanding these offerings as follows (and academy players will get these for 50% off the actual hourly costs):
- Private Lessons—($25 per hour for academy players). Historically the most sought after session, but I’d suggest parents to limit bookings to one session per week. In the past, I’ve witnessed many players go from private lesson to private lesson without working on the muscle memory changes needed between sessions. Private lessons should only be booked for players who are learning the basics or for advanced players who have focused additional training needs (or growth areas). All lessons will be fully documented again with lesson notes posted to the personal accounts of all members for reference.
- Ball Machine Sessions—($10 per hour for academy players). Get a private court with our commercial Lobster Phenom to work on your groundstrokes or net play. This year I have an entire resource page for drills players can run in their hour sessions. These sessions are not with an instructor, but will occur on a separate court that an instructor is nearby in case of issues or questions.
- [New] Live Hitting Sessions—($25 per hour for academy players). If players want to bring in another hitting partner, Coach Staley will organize a live hitting session between the two players. This session features key competitive drills that focus on strengthening all areas of play. Results will be recorded and included in lesson notes. Instruction will occur during drills.
- [New] Pressure Match Sessions—($25 per hour for academy players). Players can schedule with a chosen hitting partner specialized competitive match play drills that put players in unique situations to grow their mental toughness and win key pressure points throughout match play.
- [New] Coached Simulated Match Play—($75 per hour for academy players). Schedule a time with a chosen hitting partner to play a match that is recorded through our GoPro and Swing Vision app. Video highlights will be posted to your online private account along with a written report which will be posted on results of the match as well as strategic notes to enhance players’ competitiveness.
- Evaluation Video & Report—($99 for academy players). This includes an hour session of recorded video footage of each player using our Solo-Shot or Go-Pro that focuses on all areas of the game and is broken down in a written report that grades each player at their current level for forehands, backhands, footwork, volleys and serve. This package includes a 9-point serve report with stills.
ALL ADD-ONS CAN NOW BE BOOKED ONCE YOUR ACADEMY APPLICATION HAS BEEN ACCEPTED! PLEASE CONTACT COACH STALEY TO BOOK OR VISIT HIS ONLINE BOOKING PAGE.
2021 Academy Application
DEADLINE IS MAY 31, 2021!!!
Shane Staley is the founder of Staley Tennis and a USPTA-certified trainer, Accredited Professional Coach and instructor.